I am us citizen i want to apply for immigration I-130 for my father in law. how long does it take to get him into usa?

Asked about 2 years ago - Detroit, MI

his age around 52 years, and married.

Attorney answers (5)

  1. 5

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Unfortunately, you are not eligible to file an I-130 for your father in law. You are only eligible to file for your father, mother, spouse, child, brother, or sister. In-laws, unfortunately, are not included.

    Perhaps if your spouse is a US Citizen or permanent resident, your spouse could file. Or perhaps your father in law has another relative who might be able to file for him.

    Michael Carlin
    Immigration Attorney

    Law Office of Michael Carlin PLLC
    3365 Washtenaw Avenue, Suite 209
    Ann Arbor, Michigan 48104
    Phone: 734.369.3131
    Fax: 734.259.4801
    Website: mcarlinlaw.com Sitio en español: mcarlinlaw.com/es/
    Email: mike@mcarlinlaw.com
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/mcarlinlaw Twitter: twitter.com/mcarlinlaw

    (734) 369-3131. This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of... more
  2. 4

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You cannot petition your father-in-law for a green card.

  3. 3

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . One cannot file an I-130 for one's father-in-law. However, your spouse can file an I-130 once your spouse has become a US citizen. It currently takes from 6 to 10 months until the beneficiary of an I-130 can travel to the US with an immigrant visa.

  4. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You cannot file for your father-in-law.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more
  5. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Right. Only adult citizens can petition for their parents. Parents-in-law don't count. When your wife becomes a U.S. citizen, then she can petition for her father.

    This reply is intended only as general information and does not constitute legal advice in any particular case.... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Family based green card

Citizens and permanent residents may sponsor their relatives for permanent residence in the United States.

Danielle Nelisse

Green Card Marriage Interview

The immigration interview husbands and wives are required to attend in order to get the foreign spouse their green card (lawful permanent residence) through marriage can be very anxiety... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,751 answers this week

3,624 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,751 answers this week

3,624 attorneys answering