I Am Us Citizen Can I Get Citizen Ship of Canada without getting any problem for my us citizenship ?

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

I born in different country , and i become us citizen , if i apply for Canadian citizenship am i gone get problem with my us citizenship ? i don't want to lose my us citizenship , so please help me to understand Consequence of apply for Canadian citizenship . ( i searched and it is OK for Canada but, i don't know if is OK for USA !!!!? )

1. Michael Paul Ruttle

3

Answered . On the one hand, dual citizenship is generally disfavored. But on the other hand, the Supreme Court has recognized that dual citizenship is "a status long recognized in the law." See Kawakita v. U.S., 343 U.S. 717 (1952).

One issue on your facts is that you say you were born in a "different country." Do you still have citizenship in that country? You won't be precluded from obtaining dual citizenship provided that you're not required to renounce your USC status.

Keep in mind that if you get dual citizenship, you should use your US passport to enter and leave the US. See INA §215(b). Moreover, if arrested or detained in the US and are a USC, dual nationals may not get the benefit of consular notification, which is the they right to be told that you may have your country’s embassy or consulate notified, and officials from the embassy or consulate must be allowed access to them upon request. You should consult with an experienced immigration attorney for a more detailed explanation. You can find one at. www. ailalawyer.com.

2. Alexander Joseph Segal

3

Answered . Yes you can. Canada is an exception to a general rule disfavoring acquiring foreign citizenship by USCs.

3. Kyndra L. Mulder

Pro

2

Answered . There are no consequences to your USC. However, you will need to determine whether Canada allows the same. In the US, as you recall, you were required to pledge allegiance to the USA over any other state.
    Secondly, you will want to consider possible tax consequences. You don't want to put yourself in the position of paying income tax twice. I suggest yoou speak with a CPA or Tax attorney as well as looking into the immigration consequences.