I Am Us Citizen Can I Get Citizen Ship of Canada without feting any problem for my us citizenship ?

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

i born in different country and i become us citizen and if i want to apply for Canadian citizenship is that OK ? or am i gone lose my us citizenship ( i searched and i find out it is OK with Canada but mi worry about USA ) please give me help full answer thank you

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

13

1

Answered . Both the US and Canada accept dual citizenship. However, you should schedule a consultation with an experienced immigration attorney before doing this.

2. J. Thomas Smith Ph.D.

Pro

2

1

Answered . A person who acquires a foreign citizenship by applying for it may lose U.S. citizenship.

In order to lose U.S. citizenship, the law requires that the person must apply for the foreign citizenship voluntarily, by free choice, and with the intention to give up U.S. citizenship.

Intent can be shown by the person's statements or conduct.The U.S. Government recognizes that dual nationality exists but does not encourage it as a matter of policy because of the problems it may cause.

Claims of other countries on dual national U.S. citizens may conflict with U.S. law, and dual nationality may limit U.S. Government efforts to assist citizens abroad. The country where a dual national is located generally has a stronger claim to that person's allegiance.

Get more info at the following link:
    http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/ci...

Do consult with a competent and experienced immigration Ttorney for assistance.

3. J Charles Ferrari

Answered . I agree with my colleague.