I am unemployed & my husband is sponsoring my parents for GC, do both need to file i-864 or I need I-864 & he needs I-864 A?

Asked 7 months ago - Denver, CO

I am sponsoring my parents for Green Card and they live aboard. I-130 has already been approved case has reached to NVC. I already have applied for Agent form and paid AOS fee. Now the problem is I am unemployed since one and half year so I cannot sponsor my parents. My husband has sufficient earning to support them. We had jointly tax filed for recent years. I am confused either we both have to fill I-864 (for both father and mother) or I need to fill I-864 (for both father and mother) and he fills I-864a (for both father and mother) ? And also I am confused about a question in I-864 Part 3, Q no 1. which is applicable only in cases with two joint sponsor (shall I tick Yes? since I guess we will be joint sponsor here) Please help me out here.

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

4

Answered . Yes you are correct. You need to file I864 - one form for each parent and your husband can file I864A if you live in the same household and file joint tax returns.

2. Christopher Daniel Leroi

2

Answered . You really need to find an immigration attorney here on Avvo with the Find a Lawyer tool. Immigration law is complicated and you need assistance. It is not a do-it-yourself project.

3. Scott Dewayne Mills

Pro

Answered . You and your husband will both need file i-864's - for both your mother and father. Hiring an attorney can save you months of wasted time due to mistakes.