I am under 21 and blew over .08. If I can keep the intoxilyzer results out of evidence can I get a non adjudication?

The officer and prosecution agree but the judge wants law to prove that I can go forward under a common law theory of non adjudication

Jackson, MS -

Anders Ferrington

Anders Ferrington

DUI / DWI Attorney - Jackson, MS

If you have counsel PLEASE discuss it with them. If you do not, get an attorney NOW. Your attorney, if you have one, can point to the case law on remand versus reduction that is statutorily eliminated

Robert Edward Fenster

Robert Edward Fenster

Personal Injury Lawyer - Altamonte Springs, FL

You need immediate legal counsel! If the judge won't accept the deal, you will be prosecuted and will lose without a lawyer.

Anthony Michael Solis

Anthony Michael Solis

Criminal Defense Attorney - Los Angeles, CA

You may be able to keep out the evidence, but that will depend on what evidence you have to attack the tests. You might want to get that evidence excluded first and then see if you can file a motion to dismiss. You should have an attorney in this case. Are you self-represented?

Jasen Bodie Nielsen

Jasen Bodie Nielsen

DUI / DWI Attorney - Santa Barbara, CA

It sounds to me as if you have an attorney. If that's the case, you need to have a detailed conversation with them about this and all of the issues in your case. Good luck.

Jasen Nielsen

Ethan Patrick Meaney

Ethan Patrick Meaney

DUI / DWI Attorney - Minneapolis, MN

I agree talk with your attorney as they are in best position to answer that question. Good luck.

Stacy E Pepper

Stacy E Pepper

Criminal Defense Attorney - Ridgeland, MS

the answer depends on wheather you can keep the intoxilizer results our (or lowered within the range of error).

Here is the Miss Code you need to look at:
SEC. 63-11-30(3)(g)
(g) The court shall have the discretion to rule that a first offense of this subsection by a person under the age of twenty-one (21) years shall be nonadjudicated. Such person shall be eligible for nonadjudication only once. The Department of Public Safety shall maintain a confidential registry of all cases which are nonadjudicated as provided in this paragraph. A judge who rules that a case is nonadjudicated shall forward such ruling to the Department of Public Safety. Judges and prosecutors involved in implied consent violations shall have access to the confidential registry for the purpose of determining nonadjudication eligibility. A record of a person who has been nonadjudicated shall be maintained for five (5) years or until such person reaches the age of twenty-one (21) years. Any person whose confidential record has been disclosed in violation of this paragraph shall have a civil cause of action against the person and/or agency responsible for such disclosure.

However, SEC. 63-11-30(3)(a) prvided as follows:
This subsection shall be known and may be cited as Zero Tolerance for Minors. The provisions of this subsection shall apply only when a person under the age of twenty-one (21) years has a blood alcohol concentration two one-hundredths percent (.02%) or more, but lower than eight one-hundredths percent (.08%). If such person's blood alcohol concentration is eight one-hundredths percent (.08%) or more, the provisions of subsection (2) shall apply.

^^ the last sentense is going to put your charges back under Miss Code SEC. 63-11-30(2) because you are over the .08 upper limit, and under section 2 - nonadjudication is not an option.

So in short, if you can keep the intoxilizer results out (or lowered) then yes the Judge can nonadjudicate, but you are doing to need a good DUI lawyer to help you on this.

My firm handles DUI's statewide, and this comes up often.

Related Advice