I am unable to get a job because I have something on my record. Need to see if it can be removed.

Navarre, FL |

In 2008 in Illinois, I inadvertently wrote a bad check due to my husband clearing my account without my knowledge. I was ordered to pay restitution and fees and serve one year probation, all which was complete by December 2010. This was my first, and only offense ever in my life, and it is keeping me from getting a job because my bkgrnd has it listed as petty theft. The check was for $400. I called the county clerk in Illinois and was told that there is nothing I can do about it, and that it was originally a felony but that I had plead down and it was reduced to a misdemeanor. This is not what my public defender told me at all. I have been told that there is a first offenders law in Illinois which would allow for the removal of a non-violent first offense. I need this gone. I need a job.

You need to contact attorneys in IL and see if sealing and expungement is possible there for this charge.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq.,

Post this question in the Illinois Criminal Law section. You may need to change your info to reflect an Illinois address....

Thank you

You've detailed a fine question; sadly you've posted it in a forum where you are extremely unlikely to get a competent answer. While there are usually some common denominators, laws and procedures are particular to a given State / jurisdiction.

If you repost this question and, instead of listing your location as "Navarre, FL" you list your location as "___________, IL", then Illinois lawyers (as opposed to FL lawyers) will see your question and you are more likely to get a competent answer.

I hope that this has been helpful and wish you the best of luck!

First, second and third: No attorney-client relationship exists by virtue of any Q&A with Michael A. Haber, Esq. on Avvo. Fourth: Anything that you post on Avvo (or on similar sites) or on any social media is by its nature public. It is essentially an admission / confession and can be introduced into evidence as a statement against your interest in a subsequent legal proceeding. Once posted you lose any reasonable expectation of privacy, so, as this is an open forum (with no privilege attached), please be extra careful when considering what to post online (forewarned is forearmed.)

Yes, someone else pointed that out as well, and I have posted it with the correct location to where it happened. I do not know how to remove a post though, as I am new to this website. I came here because a local lawyer suggested it.

Michael Adam Haber

Michael Adam Haber

;-) Avvo is gaining popularity. I have been answering questions (and fielding calls and emails because, well, apparently I've got a knack for it), essentially without remuneration for about 6 months now. I dedicate a pretty good chunk of time and think that I've probably helped about as many folks during this time period as I have in my entire 22+ years of litigation experience. Most questions really require a personal discussion (having just too many variables involved) but there is plenty of generic advise. And when I'm bored and scour questions from around the country (I usually stay in Florida - which, if you know anything about the State, may as well be its own country... its truly that diverse) man do I read (and occasionally respond) to some mind-boggling stuff. Anyhow, I'm glad I could help. If you are inclined you should consider taking a look at my facebook page. I blog pretty much daily and there's almost always something interesting, amusing, informative or some combination thereof.

Michael Adam Haber

Michael Adam Haber

www.facebook.com/haberpa