I am unable to get a job because I have something on my record. Need to see if it can be removed.

Asked 9 months ago - Navarre, FL

In 2008 in Illinois, I inadvertently wrote a bad check due to my husband clearing my account without my knowledge. I was ordered to pay restitution and fees and serve one year probation, all which was complete by December 2010. This was my first, and only offense ever in my life, and it is keeping me from getting a job because my bkgrnd has it listed as petty theft. The check was for $400. I called the county clerk in Illinois and was told that there is nothing I can do about it, and that it was originally a felony but that I had plead down and it was reduced to a misdemeanor. This is not what my public defender told me at all. I have been told that there is a first offenders law in Illinois which would allow for the removal of a non-violent first offense. I need this gone. I need a job.

1. Robert Jason De Groot

Pro

3

Answered . You need to contact attorneys in IL and see if sealing and expungement is possible there for this charge.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq.,
  2. Michael Adam Haber

Pro

2

1

Answered . You've detailed a fine question; sadly you've posted it in a forum where you are extremely unlikely to get a competent answer. While there are usually some common denominators, laws and procedures are particular to a given State / jurisdiction.

If you repost this question and, instead of listing your location as "Navarre, FL" you list your location as "___________, IL", then Illinois lawyers (as opposed to FL lawyers) will see your question and you are more likely to get a competent answer.

I hope that this has been helpful and wish you the best of luck!

3. Steven Douglas Knittle

Pro

2

Answered . Post this question in the Illinois Criminal Law section. You may need to change your info to reflect an Illinois address....