I am U.S Citizen sponsoring my husband in another country. Can I use my savings to file for affidavit of support

Asked over 1 year ago - White Plains, NY

I am unable to work due to a chronic illness. I have a couple of co-sponsors

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

3

1

Answered . Yes. You take our income figure and subtract it from the income vis a vis household size as listed on the I-864. The ldiffernce you will get you remember. Now, your savings must be 5 times that number.

2. Michael Hugh Carlin

2

Answered . As the petitioner, you are required to file an I-864. You may declare your savings as a way to try to show sufficient income / assets. If you do not meet the financial requirements, then you need one joint sponsor who will be able to meet the requirements. Please note that you cannot have several joint sponsors to "add up" their incomes. You should consult with an immigration attorney to have the best chance of success.

3. Calvin T. Sun

1

Answered . The standard to meet is 125% of poverty level.