Skip to main content

I am U.S citizen and would like to bring my brother in the US. What is the fastes way to do it?

Des Moines, IA |
Filed under: Immigrant visas

How to bring a brother of the U.S. citizen to the USA, the best and fastes way, and how long does it take for him to obtain a permanent visa

Attorney Answers 1

  1. As a U.S. citizen, you can sponsor your adult brother for permanent residence in the family fourth preference category. the problem is, the wait for an available immigrant visa in this category is very, very long - the backlog in this category is about ten years right now, and it might take even longer depending on country of birth and how things go in general.

    The best bet is to speak with an immigration lawyer, bringing a copy of your brother's resume and your knowledge of your brother's own family relationships (through marriage, etc.) There may be a faster way to bring him here than through you sponsoring him - based on employment sponsorship, his going to school here, or some other relative sponsoring in a quicker category.

    Good luck!

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics