I am u.s. citizen, daughter was born in Philippines and has a Philippine passport. Do I need anything for her to get into U.S.?

Indianapolis, IN |
Filed under: Immigration US visas

Daughter is in Philippines because my wife if filipino, but we both work in Kuwait. We are planning to go to Philippines to get daughter then to the U.S.

If your quesiton is whether your daughter is a USC, here is a very good information on the issue. Based on your description, I believe she may be a USC at birth and you need to visit US consulate and claim her passport. Here is the criteria: One parent is a U.S. citizen at the time of birth and the birthdate is on or after November 14, 1986
The parents are married at the time of birth and the U.S. citizen parent had been physically present in the U.S. or its territories for a period of at least five years at some time in his or her life prior to the birth, of which at least two years were after his or her 14th birthday.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Did you complete a Consular Report of Birth Abroad with the US Consul when she was born?

If not, try to do it now ... they may give you a hard time and it might take a long time.

Consider having an attorney assist you.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

If you believe that your daughter is a US citizen, you must apply for a US passport for her.

Please click the link below for additional information.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Schedule a Legal Consultation - Know Your Rights!
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Recommended articles about Immigration