I am trying to sell my shares to the corp that issued them to me. What kind of contract will have to put in place for this?

Asked about 2 years ago - Irvine, CA

Language in the agreement.

Transfers to the Corporation. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary contained in this Agreement, a Shareholder may give, sell, transfer or otherwise dispose of all or any of his shares to the Corporation at such price and on such terms and conditions as such Shareholder and the Board of Directors of the Company may agree.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Michael Charles Doland

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Your question is difficult to answer for several reasons. The fact that you may sell your shares to the corporation does not mean the corporation is compelled to buy them, and may not have the legal capacity to buy them if it does not have sufficient financial reserves. You should probably structure the transaction as a redemption to obtain beneficial tax treatment, that there are not sufficient facts to develop this analysis. You should at a minimum consult with your CPA. So, perhaps a redemption agreement, perhaps a sales agreement would be necessary.

    The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advise" but analysis, and different lawyers may... more
  2. George William Wolff

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You would have to agree with the corp on price and other terms and have a written agreement drawn up.

    The purchase could affect your taxes for better or worse.

    Does the corp agree to purchase the shares?

    Why do you want to sell the shares?

    Is the company making any money?

    George Wolff



    This is NOT legal advice, just a general discussion of the law, as we are not familiar with the specific... more
  3. Inna J Efimchik

    Contributor Level 8


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . As the other attorneys have pointed out, it is unclear from your post whether you have reached agreement with the company relating to the repurchase of your shares. If you have, the company's attorneys should draw up the documentation and you should engage your own counsel for a quick review.

    However, if you have not worked out an agreement with the company for the repurchase of the shares, don't be surprised if the company is not too eager to repurchase. Many startups are asked to give "qualified small business stock" representations to their investors, and repurchasing/redeeming shares, except in certain limited circumstances, will prevent a company from being able to claim to be a "qualified small business" that can sell "qualified small business stock" for a year after the repurchase.

    Best of luck to you!

    No Attorney-Client Relationship. This post has been prepared by Inna Efimchik of White Summers for general... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,194 answers this week

3,089 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,194 answers this week

3,089 attorneys answering