Skip to main content

I am trying to get the noise law changed in Los Angeles. LAMPC Chapter 11, ARt.5, Sec 115 exempts churches. Can city be sued? Or

Los Angeles, CA |

I live next to a noisy catholic church, Divine Saviour, 90065. They put up an amplified sound system that goes off 6 times a day every day . The Los Angeles noise laws 'exempts" them from the law. Los Angeles Municipal code Chapter 11, Article 5, Section 115.02. It disturbs the peace and quiet in my home. I lived in my home before they put up their sound system. It takes away the enjoyment of my home.

After doing an interview with ABC7 "What's bugging you, noise? They priest took me to court and lost. (SLAPP). What can be done to stop their amplified sound system? LAPD noise enforement team and the city attorney and my ex-councilmember have refused to change the law or stop it.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Best answer

    Your recourse is to pursue a private nuisance cause of action against the church. California Government Code Section 818.2. provides that "...a public entity is not liable for an injury caused by
    adopting or failing to adopt an enactment or by failing to enforce any law.", so you won't have any success suing the city...

    THESE COMMENTS MUST NOT BE CONSIDERED LEGAL ADVICE. Comments made on websites such as are provided for information purposes only, and you should not base a decision to act or refrain from acting based upon this answer. The only way to determine how the law may apply to your particular situation is to consult with an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation. . That relationship is established by the execution of a written agreement for legal services. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference.

  2. Hire a real estate attorney who can sue the church for being a private nuisance.

  3. There is also an option to pursue anti slapp / slapp back litigation.

    Be sure to designate "best answer." If you live in S. California, you may call my firm for a consultation 818-507-6000. The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here. Please visit my web site: for more information about my services.

Real estate topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics