I am trying to get the noise law changed in Los Angeles. LAMPC Chapter 11, ARt.5, Sec 115 exempts churches. Can city be sued? Or

Asked 12 months ago - Los Angeles, CA

I live next to a noisy catholic church, Divine Saviour, 90065. They put up an amplified sound system that goes off 6 times a day every day . The Los Angeles noise laws 'exempts" them from the law. Los Angeles Municipal code Chapter 11, Article 5, Section 115.02. It disturbs the peace and quiet in my home. I lived in my home before they put up their sound system. It takes away the enjoyment of my home.

After doing an interview with ABC7 "What's bugging you, noise? They priest took me to court and lost. (SLAPP). What can be done to stop their amplified sound system? LAPD noise enforement team and the city attorney and my ex-councilmember have refused to change the law or stop it.

1. David Herman Hirsch

2

Best Answer

Answered . Your recourse is to pursue a private nuisance cause of action against the church. California Government Code Section 818.2. provides that "...a public entity is not liable for an injury caused by
    adopting or failing to adopt an enactment or by failing to enforce any law.", so you won't have any success suing the city...

THESE COMMENTS MUST NOT BE CONSIDERED LEGAL ADVICE. Comments made on websites such as Avvo.com are provided for information purposes only, and you should not base a decision to act or refrain from acting based upon this answer. The only way to determine how the law may apply to your particular situation is to consult with an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation. . That relationship is established by the execution of a written agreement for legal services. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference.

2. Sagar P. Parikh

3

Answered . Hire a real estate attorney who can sue the church for being a private nuisance.

SP@BeverlyHillsLawCorp.com
    323-703-3581

3. Michael Avanesian

Pro

1

1

Answered . There is also an option to pursue anti slapp / slapp back litigation.