Skip to main content

I am trying to gain custody of my son while mother is incarcerted. I am in another state. Have issuses with jurisdiction.

Omaha, NE |

Mother is facing 4th DUI in the state of NE. I am in TN, and trying to gain custody of my 4 year old son. Running into problem with her not being convicted of the crimes, therefore child is being placed with grandparents. This looks like it could go on for a year or so. Mother has Public Defendent not sure when case will be heard. How can I get this moving along and get my son with me?

Attorney Answers 2


If the child is living in NE now, there is a strong chance you will have to pursue a modification in NE under the UCCJEA. You would need to file a Complaint to modify the existing custody decree.

The Court will have to decide what is in the best interests of the child. There appear to be three logical choices: 1. Remain with mom, who might be going to prison for a long time. 2. Stay with grandparents. 3. Move to TN with you.

It sounds like there has been a temporary hearing, but I'm not 100% sure. I'd have to get more case info.

I can help you with that. Feel free to call me at 402-321-0580.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

1 lawyer agrees


You would need to file a request to have a custody modification take place, but it will be in Nebraska. Not much else to do at this point. If you do not have a legal custody order then you could file it in TN. Hope that helps. Give us a call we can help. We do offer a free consultation to assist people accused of offense(s). Give us a call at (402) 455-1711.

Mark as helpful

Family law topics

Recommended articles about Family law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics