I am trying to fix my husband's paper's to be legal in USA.

Battle Mountain, NV |

I have been married to my husband for seven year's. I am a American Indian. My husband has been in Mexico for almost a year. I went to Mexico to live with him but had to come back to the states because it is to hard to make a living. He got caught at the border in 2005 trying to cross. He has no criminal record nor been deported from the USA. I had a lawyer before and she ripped me off 2500.00 so I am worried I might get ripped off again. Please give me some advice on what to do.

1. when you say "ripped off" - has she tried something and it was denied? or she promised to do something and simply did not do it?
    But it depends on what happened with your husband when he tried to enter. Best is to get his entire record to determine what did in fact happen and what can now be done.

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.

2. Sorry to hear of your bad experience. You need a copy of your husband's A-FIle. You can get that by filing a FOIA request. If you are hesitant to try with a lawyer (or a paid one at least), you can contact free legal service providers who may be able to help. Once you have the A-File, take it to a lawyer (can be free again) to review and discuss with you your options. As a US citizen, you an petition for your husband, the issue is finding out exactly what happened in 2005 (whether he tried to use fraudulent documents, made a false clam to US citizenship...). Good luck.

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 s.ouya@mainalaw.com Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104

3. I agree with my colleague. You should consult an experienced immigration attorney for this matter. You may schedule a consultation with an immigration lawyer in your area, my firm is handling these matters in New York. If you would like free legal updates on these immigration issues you may sign up for our newsletter at http://www.shautsova.com .

Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes. Law Office of Alena Shautsova www.shautsova.com www.shautsova.com www.russianspeakinglawyerny.com

4. You live in a very rural area, not easy to find an immigration lawyer in battle mountain.