I am trying to find the will and/or lawyer my aunt was using before she died so that her estate can be dealt with.

High Point, NC |

My aunt did not have any children or surviving immediate family, only nieces and nephews. We do not know where to even begin to find the lawyer and/or will to handle her estate. She died suddenly and unexpectedly. We do know there is a will but do not know where she put it. She did have a lawyer but we do not know who. Any suggestions you can give would be a start.

You could try contacting the local bar association. They may be able to send an email making an inquiry for you. There also may be a local or state Probate Internet Group that lawyers use to attempt to find the attorney who wrote a will.

Hope this helps. If you think this post was helpful, please check the answer was a good answer tab below. Thanks. Mr. Geffen is licensed to practice law throughout the state of Texas with an office in Dallas. He is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States and is licensed to practice in US Tax Court as well as The Court of Claims. This answer is provided as a public service and as a general response to a general question, it is not meant, and should not be relied upon as specific legal advice, nor does it create an attorney-client relationship.

You have two choices. If she didn't leave instruction as to where to find it, you can advertise in the local legal newspaper and if that doesn't work you can hire a Probate Attorney and open a Probate of your Aunt's Estate. Then the laws of Intestacy of the State where she resided will govern. I'm sorry for your loss. Best of Luck!

There's no magic bullet here, but some ideas:

- Search the residence and files high and low.
- Check through her bank records to try to locate payment to an attorney.
- Ask relatives and friends if they know what attorney she worked with and/or did they recommend an attorney
- Ask her banks if she had a safety deposit box there
- If she had a computer you can access that may leave clues there.
- Check with her medical care providers and also banks to see if she ever used a power of attorney. If you can get a hold of that, that might tell you who drafted those documents, which would likely be the same as for the Will.

Good luck!

The comments above are not legal advice and do not create an attorney-client relationship: you haven't hired me or my firm or given me confidential information by posting on this public forum, and my answer on this public forum does not constitute attorney-client advice. IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: In order to comply with requirements imposed by the Internal Revenue Service, we inform you that any U.S. tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing, or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein. While I am licensed to practice in New York and California, I do not actively practice in New York. Regardless, nothing said should be deemed an opinion of law of any state. All readers need to do their own research or pay an attorney for a legal opinion if one is necessary or desired.

Also check the clerk of court in the county where she lived. They are authorized to hold wills in their safe for just this type of situation

Wills and estates topics