I am trying to find out how to go about my mother changing her power of attorney over to me instead of my sister

Asked over 1 year ago - Murfreesboro, TN

My mother originally got tricked into signing over power of attorney to my sister when my mother was ill. She now wishes to change that to myself due to my sister not being responsible and trying to take advantage of my elderly mother and her savings. My mother prefers not to have to hire an attorney due to her living off disability. So how would she go about changing that and if so at what point would she be required to let my sister the previous power of attorney know about said change. Being as that will cause conflict. Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

1. Joseph Michael Pankowski Jr

5

Answered . If your mother is going to execute a new power of attorney in your favor, it is vital that you stay out of the process. Otherwise, your sister will accuse you of the exact same thing of which you are accusing her.

Please have your mother consult with an attorney to discuss the preparation of a power of attorney. Since your mother has limited resources, she may be able to use the legal aid firm in your town (the link is below). When she goes there, please do not accompany her, as this has to be her sole decision. Good luck to you and your mother.

http://www.las.org/contact/murfreesboro

2. Denise Leydon Harvey

Pro

3

Answered . I agree with Atttorney Pankowski. I will add that your mother may have to notify your sister as soon as the new POA is signed that the current POA has been revoked. Please have your mother check this with the attorney that she sees for the new POA. That is the rule in MA and I am sure TN has some notification rules as well.

3. Steven M Zelinger

Pro

3

Answered . Mr. Pankowski is correct about your involvement. Most POAs have instructions on how to deliver notice but it probably requires written notice to the current agent that she is terminated. I understand the aversion to legal fees here, but think about the consequences of not using a lawyer. A good lawyer will make sure the transition is as smooth as possible and build a case against the other sister if needed later.

4. James P. Frederick

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. I would add that your mother really NEEDS to use an attorney for this, because it is very likely going to be challenged. An attorney will make sure the documents are done properly and will be available to defend them, if necessary. POA forms are not expensive.

James Frederick