Skip to main content

I am trying to file for FAFSA but my green card is still pending.....does my advance parole document help at all????

Berkeley, CA |

According to the FAFSA website I qualify as an eligible noncitizen if I am a parolee, and given I have an advance parole document that means I qualify, correct?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You are a parolee if you used your advance parole to enter the United States.



I have an advance parole document valid until next year but have never used it....I'm I a parolee?



Form I-512 Parole Authorization .


In my professional opinion an Advance Parole does not avail you to be a FAFSA recipient as a Lawful Permanent Resident as the LPR has not been approved and, if I am not mistaken, only US Citizens and LPRs are eligible for FAFSA funds.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions stated above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual or legal circumstances related to one's current legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a comprehensive legal before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. Respectfully, Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko, Chicago, Illinois


There are different kinds of parole and, you don't appear to be a parolee.

Plus, if you are an adjustment applicant, you probably have someone that filed an I864 ... which should make you ineligible for any income based benefits.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


Be careful about using advanced parole though, as sometimes those with advanced parole are nonetheless inadmissible back into the United States for a variety of reasons.



So, let me see if I understand. Even though I have a valid advance parole document, it does not make me a parolee unless I use it????

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer