I am trying to be granted temporary custody of my nieces .I am in Suffolk county where do I begin & what should I do!!

Asked about 1 year ago - East Moriches, NY

I have been caring for my 2 nieces for over 3 plus years now . The father is sick and unable to physically care for them but not there the mother is god knows where .I haven't heard from her in over 3 yrs. .I would like to be granted temporary or full custody of them .I am not sure this what I should be asking for but I would like to be able to care for them without restraints. They are now on Medicaid which gives me such a hard time when it is time to reapply,And I would like to add them to my insurance .Plus my landlords going nuts he either says I have to move or add them to my lease but he needs court documents (we stay In a village with crazy rules). How do I do ask for custody, where should I start and what documents do I need. And how long does this take?
Thanks for your time!

1. Ralph Duthely

Best Answer

Answered . It is as straight forward as Mr. Lutzky said. Just go to Family Court and file a petition. The only issue is that you will have to attempt to serve the mother. That may be a problem if she has been out of the picture for three years. Good luck.

2. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

1

1

Answered . File in family court where you live for custody. You will need to serve both the mother and the father. Contact a local family law attorney to help you.