I am trying to attain an attorney for my possible medical malpractice case. I need help preparing motion not to strike, Pro Se

Americus, GA |

As of now I am pro SE, my first hearing in two weeks. The attorney from the hospital is moving to strike because I do not have an expert medical statement or attorney, both of which I am working hard to acquire. I am in Georgia and most of the physicians I have researched are employed by the same monopolized hospital network that employs the physicians I am filing against, If I could just have some advice in preparing my motion not to strike as where I can have some more time time to get an expert analysis of my records as well as an attorney. Thank you for you time.

The time to get a lawyer was before the case was filed. You won't likely get a lawyer volunteering time for you. Your chances at any win in the case without a lawyer are exactly zero and you won't likely get past this motion. Meet with qualified lawyers immediately to take the case. if they say you have a bad case, listen to them.

If you are trying to get an attorney to help you do a medical malpractice case fir free after you have likely compromised your claim with a uninformed "do it yourself" approach, you are not likely to succeed.

Also, most attorneys don't do pro se work except for very poor clients with a civil rights claim that may affect many similarly situated people, or certain limited areas of law (housing, criminal, domestic violence, etc. I've never heard of lawyers taking on malpractice cases pro bono.

However, many times attorneys will do personal injury and even medical malpractice cases on a contingency basis where you pay nothing unless you get a judgment, for a cut of the judgment usually from 25 - 50% of the award. You may find attorneys willing to sue local doctors in a city a couple of hours away where they don't care so much what the local good old boys at the Country Club think of them.

Hope this helps.

This answer is provided under the Avvo.com “Terms and Conditions of Use” (“ToU”), particularly ¶9 which states that any information provided is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and me or any other attorney. Such information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. In particular, my answers and those of others are not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely solely upon Legal Information you obtain from this website or other resources which may be linked to an answer for informational purposes. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege. The full Avvo ToU are set forth at http://www.avvo.com/support/terms . In addition, while similar legal principles often apply in many states, I am only licensed to practice in the State of New York and Federal Courts. Any general information I provide about non-New York laws should be checked with an attorney licensed to practice in your State. Lastly, New York State Court rules (22 NYCRR Part 1200, Rule 7.1) also require me to inform you that my answers and attorney profile posted on the Avvo.com site may be considered "attorney advertising" and that "prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome".

Jack Richard Lebowitz

Jack Richard Lebowitz

In paragraph 2 I meant "pro bono", not "pro se"

Lawyers don't really do consulting work, for two main reasons. First, it's rather akin to asking a plumber to come over to show you how to unplug your drain (and borrow his tools to do it). Second, this sort of arrangement poses a lot of ethical problems that I, for one, wouldn't be willing to invite, and I imagine Georgia has similar enough ethical rules that attorneys there may feel the same.

I empathize with your position, though, and you may find a lawyer who's willing to help you on a pro bono basis. Even then, though, they're going to handle the representation -- not help you represent yourself. Ethics, and all of that.

You've taken a really, really huge step in asking this question, because it means that you recognize that you're in over your head. This recognition, however, should be prompting you to use avvo's search feature to find and hire one a lawyer, not use its Q&A feature to seek help from lawyers in how to best avoid their help.

I can be reached at (913) 735-9320. These answers do not constitute legal advice, because legal advice is paid for. These answers are, instead, practical suggestions for dealing with legal problems, and provided for informational purposes as a free public service. Any reliance thereupon is at your sole risk. Since suggestions to legal questions are usually fact-dependent; my answers are general and based on the facts as you describe them and necessarily includes assumptions. More specific answers can be provided only after researching the appropriate law and a comprehensive consultation in which all relevant facts are disclosed. The choice of a lawyer is an important decision and should not be based solely upon advertisements. Until both a retainer agreement is executed and we have a consultation, I am not your lawyer and you are not my client. Moreover, I cannot be your attorney unless you are located in Missouri, the only state in which I am licensed. If you are not in Missouri, please consult an attorney in your state for assistance, as my advice may be incorrect or incomplete.

John Joseph Westerhaus

John Joseph Westerhaus

Edit -- contingency basis, not pro-bono, since this is a civil suit and not a criminal one. (Pro bono representation is extremely unlikely in this sort of scenario, though not impossible)

Jack Richard Lebowitz

Jack Richard Lebowitz

Great answer!

John Joseph Westerhaus

John Joseph Westerhaus

Thanks, Jack :)

The odds of winning a medical malpractice case pro se are zero. If you filed without an expert affidavit, which attorneys obtain every day, you either had no case or did not know what you were doing. You have an emergency and need a lawyer today. Let me repeat that - TODAY. Spend teh day calling lawyers in your area. This is as far from a do it yourself project as you can get.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at geaatl@msn.com . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

Don't sabotage your case by trying to handle it yourself. If you have a weak case and you couldn't get a malpractice lawyer to represent you, best bet is to offer a retainer fee to cover up-front costs, so the lawyer isn't out of pocket.