I am totally broke and have not paid taxes since 2009 And have not filed because no way to pay trying to figure out what to do

Asked about 1 year ago - Spring, TX

have no money wife disabled bills are current but that will change totally next month

1. Paul Rutledge Durr III

5

Answered . Find a tax preparer to assist you, and determine if you do owe any money for the past tax years, you may not if you have substantial medical bills. But file the returns in any case, its better to have the tax bill determined by your calculations, than to have the IRS prepare the returns (which can happen). You also run the risk of civil penalties continuing to accrue, and potential criminal penalties if you do not voluntarily file before the IRS contacts you.

2. Dwayne M Farnsworth

4

Answered . Get your tax returns prepared and filed. Find someone who will help you among your circles of influence. Once the returns are filed, if there are outstanding liabilities, meet with a bankruptcy attorney to design a long term strategy. If the taxes are old enough, and if the IRS has not filed a tax lien, or if you have no property with equity for the lien to attach to, then many taxes can be discharged in bankruptcy. You will need to be patient because it may take a while. I have sent clients away with a great plan (and some peace of mind) to have them wait 2 or more years before we file. Good Luck!

3. Diane L Gruber

Pro

3

Answered . You cannot file bankruptcy until all tax returns are filed.

4. Michael Glynn Busby Jr.

Pro

Answered . I would consider a chapter 13 bankruptcy, which would at the very least give you more time to get your house in order

5. J. Thomas Smith Ph.D.

Pro

1

Answered . Consult with an experienced Bankruptcy Attorney. However, you must become current with your tax filings.