I am tired of complaining to the landlord about the rats and roaches in the apartment and nothing is being done. What can I do ?

Asked over 2 years ago - Irvington, NJ

My door bell has not been working for 18 months.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Anthony J Van Zwaren


    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You don't mention if you live in a private home, an apartment building or public housing. You can complaint to the health dept. in Irvington or hire an exterminator and then deduct the amount from your rent (but you should give notice to the landlord. If there are any health effects (like a rat biting a child for instance), then you may have a suit for personal injury. Usually there is a claim for a warranty of habitability, if the apt. becomes uninhabitable for such reasons, the process is go to court and claim damages against your rent.
    Easiest first step is call health or building dept. in your city, and also make sure you keep copies of any written complaints you made. Also take pictures if you can.

    DISCLAIMER: This communication does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not legal advice unless you... more
  2. Matthew R Schutz

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I agree with counsel. This is a habitability issue and must be set up properly. Send the LL notice pursuant to the lease and give him time to remedy the situation. If he does nothing or inadequately remedies the situation, withold the rent and escrow it.

  3. Sandra A Joseph

    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . 1) call the health department about the roaches and rats; 2) before you can deduct from your rent send your letter written notice concerning the condition to your LL. If you do not give your LL written notice you CANNOT deduct. Yes, there is a warrant of habilitabilty, but first you must give written notice.

Related Topics

Landlord-tenant law

Landlord-tenant law is governed mostly by state laws, and covers issues like security deposit limits and deadlines, evictions, and the right to withhold rent.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,928 answers this week

3,578 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,928 answers this week

3,578 attorneys answering