I am thinking of applying for us citizenship after april 2016 and wanted to know if i could keep my uk citizenship or loose it

Asked about 1 year ago - Glen Allen, VA

just wanted to know if i could keep my uk citizenship if i apply for us citizenship as my wife asks me if i would apply for us citizenship after april 2016 as i would have been a resident card holder three years then but have been in the country since december 2011

1. Nicole Gabrielle Abramowitz Weber

3

1

Answered . You should always consult with an immigration attorney before applying for citizenship. In general, one is able to hold both U.S. and U.K. citizenship at the same time. See the following websites for more information:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitize...
    http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new/faqs/faq_c...

2. Anu Gupta

Pro

3

1

Answered . You wont lose your UK citizenship.

3. Paul M. Ruby

3

1

Answered . It's unlikely you will lose your UK citizenship in this scenario, but best to consult with an immigration lawyer who will understand your unique situation once you get a little closer to the time to make sure that's correct.

4. Stephen D. Berman

2

1

Answered . U.S. law does not determine whether or not the U.K. will consider you a citizen. You may wish to consult your consulate about that question before you file.