I am thinking of applying for us citizenship after april 2016 and wanted to know if i could keep my uk citizenship or loose it

Glen Allen, VA |

just wanted to know if i could keep my uk citizenship if i apply for us citizenship as my wife asks me if i would apply for us citizenship after april 2016 as i would have been a resident card holder three years then but have been in the country since december 2011

You should always consult with an immigration attorney before applying for citizenship. In general, one is able to hold both U.S. and U.K. citizenship at the same time. See the following websites for more information:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/dualnationality/
http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new/faqs/faq_citizenship.html

thank you for your reply i just wanted to clear that item up as to weather i could keep my uk citizenship or have to give it up if i ever applied for us citizenship as the state department more or less says it tolerates dual citizenship but but uscis site is say you take the oath before becoming a us citizen to denounce your citizenship so just wanted to make sure i know things can change in the time scale i have to wait due to uscis taking a very long time to process my change of living status in early 2012 and not getting it done till april 2013

You wont lose your UK citizenship.

Business Immigration Attorney. For H, L, J, EB5s, PERM and EB1/2/3 Petitions. Call 800-688-7892 or visit www.ImmigrationDesk.com. Law Office of Anu Gupta. The advice suggested here is for general information only and not to be construed as legal advice.

It's unlikely you will lose your UK citizenship in this scenario, but best to consult with an immigration lawyer who will understand your unique situation once you get a little closer to the time to make sure that's correct.

This is not legal advice and no attorney-client relationship has been formed, now or in the future. This is just a casual opinion expressed about a hypothetical situation.

U.S. law does not determine whether or not the U.K. will consider you a citizen. You may wish to consult your consulate about that question before you file.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

thank you for your answer had to ask due to the state department site says they tolerate dual citizenship yet the uscis website says when you take the oath to become a us citizen your swearing a oath to denounce your citizenship of birth if i understood that site correct

Recommended articles about Immigration