I am the victim of a hit and run, what can I do?

Asked over 2 years ago - Lafayette, IN

I have a witness who watched a local tow truck drive by and hit the side of my truck. They also took a picture of the wrecker but the police have said they aren't willing to investigate this matter. The officer that was suppose to get their insurance info told me since the driver denies hitting me it didn't happen. The wrecker service also happens to be who the police department uses for impounds. Damages to my vehicle were not severe but I don't like driving around without a driver's side mirror. I've called the owner of the business to see if they're willing to cover repairs but I get cursed out everytime I call.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Gregory Philip Bowes

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Leaving the scene of a property damage accident is a misdemeanor. See Ind. Code ยง 9-26-1-8 or 9, available at http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title9/ar.... If the local police are unwilling to help with this case, you could contact the local prosecutor directly to discuss the evidence you have.
    In addition to the possible criminal penalties, the owner of the car has a right to bring a claim against the tow truck driver and his employer for the negligence that caused damage to the car. Your witness and the photograph are good starting points to prove your case.
    You should contact an experienced local attorney to find out what your options are.

    I have taken no action on your problem other than to review your question. I want to confirm that no attorney-... more
  2. Nathaniel O Hubley

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Have you reported it to your insurance company? Depending upon your policy, your insurance company should be able to handle this matter. Otherwise, you will want to bring a small claims action against the company. However, if the repair isn't that much, you may just want fix it yourself because the time and money of bringing a lawsuit won't be worth it. Best of luck to you.

  3. Christian K. Lassen II


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It sounds like your damage is minor, and you may want to sue the towing company in small claims court if you don't want to claim on your own insurance.

    Free Consultation. 1-877-258-3083. Serving the Nation. Only 29% Fee Deducted.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,394 answers this week

2,670 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,394 answers this week

2,670 attorneys answering