Skip to main content

I am the victim for this question:

Ellensburg, WA |

A man came into my business trying to expose himself and tried grabbing my breasts. he was charged with Assault 4th simple, harassment, and contempt of court. A protection order for 1000 feet was ordered. He plead not guilty. we have had just the one hearing so far. I am not sure what all of this means. Am I protected at all from this man, and how long if at all could he be in jail?

Attorney Answers 6

  1. All of your questions are best left for the prosecutor assigned to the case. Reach out to him/her, as well as a victim's advocate, to seek the answers to your questions.

    Best of luck.

    In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.

  2. You are asking the wrong set of people with this question, we are defense attorneys, ones that would be representing the accused. What you need to do it speak to law enforcement and the prosecutors office to make sure you concerns and wishes are known and understood. I am very sorry that this happened to you.

  3. There are victim advocates who work the prosecutors to help answer these kinds of questions. There is no way to answer to your questions on Avvo as far as what punishment he will receive. Be aware that this can take many months to resolve, and everyone pleads not guilty at their first court date; it doesn't really mean anything. You should consider getting your own protection order against him, in addition to the one the court imposed. The prosecutor's office or victim advocate can help you.

  4. Until there is some type of conviction, your best protection is the Order of Protection. What this means is that if the man comes within 1000 feet of you (or violates any other condition) then the police can arrest him for violating the order. If you don't have a copy of the order, get one from the prosecutor's office.

    You can also seek a civil protection order independently from the criminal case. That way, even if he is acquitted in the criminal case, you will still have an order barring him from coming near you. Contact the Clerk of the Court in the district court nearest you for information on how to obtain the order.

    Craig Cahoon The Cahoon Law Office, PLLC 206-795-1779

  5. Contact the Kittitas Victim Advocate:
    205 West 5th Avenue, Room 213
    Ellensburg, WA 98926
    (509) 962-7520 \ Fax (509) 962-7022

    Educational purposes answer. | | | | | Non-privileged answer.

  6. The protection order the court entered will last as long as the criminal action is pending. If the man is convicted of something, it will stay in effect probably for another two years. If for some reason the charge is dismissed, the protection order will also be dismissed. The victim's advocate can help you, or you can retain your own attorney to advise you and assist you in getting a civil protection order.