Skip to main content

I am the custodial parent I'm moving 15 miles from Van to Pd . Do I need to give the courts notice or just the other parent ?

Portland, OR |

The move is a short distance but it is across state lines. The dad does not have an issue with the move so am I required to file something with the courts?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Check with an attorney who practices in Washington to be sure (assuming your judgment was from Washington). In Oregon, if both parents consent, then I don't think you need to file anything. It'd be a good idea to get a statement of his consent in writing (an email in which he says so would be fine).

    Please read the following notice: <br> <br> Jay Bodzin is licensed to practice law in the State of Oregon and the Federal District of Oregon, and cannot give advice about the laws of other jurisdictions. All comments on this site are intended for informational purposes only, and do not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. No posts or comments on this site are in any way confidential. Each case is unique. You are advised to have counsel at all stages of any legal proceeding, and to speak with your own lawyer in private to get advice about your specific situation. <br> <br> Jay Bodzin, Northwest Law Office, 2075 SW First Avenue, Suite 2J, Portland, OR 97201 | Telephone: 503-227-0965 | Facsimile: 503-345-0926 | Email: | Online:

  2. What does the parenting plan and the court order say on this issue. If you had an attorney, talk to them about this issue.

  3. If your judgment is from Oregon, it would be wise to file your written 60-day notice with the father and with the court, then get his written consent to the move. This will cover you in case he decides to change his mind later on. If your judgment is from Washington, consult an attorney licensed to practice in Washington.

Child custody topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics