I am the co-borrower on my auto loan my ex boyfriend is the primary. If it's registered in my name can he legally take it

New York, NY |

I paid the down payment on this car, it is registered in my name, I've made all of the payments on it. I have since split with the primary borrower and he is trying to take it from me. Can he do this legally?

If the title to the car is solely in your name then he cannot legally take it; he may be able to go to court - depending on the facts - but I don't think he can just take it away from you if the title is in your name alone. If his name is on the title too, that would be a different story as you would both have a legal right to to possession.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 385-8015 or via email at Eric@RothsteinLawNY.com. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.