I am the co-borrower on my auto loan my ex boyfriend is the primary. If it's registered in my name can he legally take it

Asked over 2 years ago - New York, NY

I paid the down payment on this car, it is registered in my name, I've made all of the payments on it. I have since split with the primary borrower and he is trying to take it from me. Can he do this legally?

1. Answered . If the title to the car is solely in your name then he cannot legally take it; he may be able to go to court - depending on the facts - but I don't think he can just take it away from you if the title is in your name alone. If his name is on the title too, that would be a different story as you would both have a legal right to to possession.