I am still a community property owner after I gave up my interest in real property to my wife as her sole and separate property?

Asked over 2 years ago - San Francisco, CA

I gave up my interest in our real estate property because it is underwater. I signed a Grant Deed transferring my interest to my wife as her sole and separate property. Since California is a community property state, will I still be considered an "owner" even if I have already given up my interest?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Eunjin Chang

    Contributor Level 6


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . California is a community property state. Howvever, you maybe liable for the mortgage on the property. I advise you meet with a real estate attorney and discuss the specifics of your case.

  2. Michael Austin Hackard


    Contributor Level 10

    Answered . As you indicated you relinquished your interest in the real estate that you owned with your spouse. This relinquishment of interest did not release you from your obligation to the lender. Your mortgage or loan agreement is a contract between you, your spouse (I assume) and your lender. It continues despite any arrangement that you make with your spouse. While you are no longer an owner it sounds like you are an "obligor" - borrower on the note secured by the real estate.

    This is a general answer only and you should seek the advice of counsel to address facts specific to your... more

Related Topics


The term property refers to things a person can own or possess. There are two types: real property (real estate) and personal property (everything else).

Andrew Ben Boyer


On behalf of Andrew Boyer PC posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2013 Any divorce has the potential to be a massively complicated affair. Many Illinois couples spend months in court arguing... more

Real estate

The term real estate means land and items permanently attached to it, like buildings. This area of law deals with who has the right to own and use these items.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,247 answers this week

3,349 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,247 answers this week

3,349 attorneys answering