I am starting a online adult dating website and i dont know if i should file for a dba or llc want to make sure i choose right

Houston, TX |

i just want to make sure i cover all aspects so that i will not get in trouble in any way. please if someone can help me out

1. Choosing the right type of business entity is actually a fairly difficult decision. Every alternative has its upsides and downsides -- including both tax and management consequences that can be important to the business' success and to your potential personal liability if it fails.

Remember that an online business may have customers throughout the United States and, indeed, all over the world. Screw up and you and your business could be sued in hostile jurisdictions in which you'd find it inconvenient and expensive to litigate.

If you're serious about owning and running a small business, you can't afford NOT to locate and hire a lawyer to be your business' regular outside counsel. Let him or her advise you on whether and how to incorporate, and also help you avoid the many other legal pitfalls that afflict new businesses. You may think you can't afford such a lawyer. That's wrong: You can't afford NOT to have one, and a good one will more than pay for himself, many times over.

Avvo.com is a good resource for helping locate such a lawyer, or -- while that's not my own regular practice area -- I'd be glad to recommend someone in whom I have a great deal of confidence if you'd like.

2. I cannot agree more with the prior attorney comments. If you are serious about your business venture, get top flight people around you- a good tax/corporate attorney, a good tax accountant, etc. For example, do not even consider a DBA since that offer you no liability protection, while an LLC, S corporation, C corporation insulates you personally against business debt. The tax, accounting and practical considerations all need to be weighed in making this decision. So get good counsel BEFORE you do anything.

Hope this helps. If you think this post was helpful, please check the thumbs up (helpful) tab below and/or designate my answer as best answer. Thanks.
    Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties. He is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States. His phone number is 215-735-2336 or his email address is sjfpc@comcast.net . For further tax advice check out his website at www.sjfpc.com . and his blog at >

LEGAL DISCLAIMER Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties. He is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States. His phone number is 215-735-2336 or his email address is sjfpc@comcast.net , his website is www.sjfpc.com. and his blog is <http://frommtaxes.wordpress.com/> Mr. Fromm is ethically required to state that the response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. Also, there are no recognized legal specialties under Pennsylvania law. Any references to a trust, estate or tax lawyer refer only to the fact that Mr. Fromm limits his practice to these areas of the law. These responses are only in the form of legal education and are intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Fromm strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to ensure proper advice is received. By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction, who is familiar with your specific facts and all of the circumstances and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question. Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.

3. In addition to the above responses, you should be aware that running this type of site also brings added scrutiny to you and additional requiremetns to make sure you are in compliance with state and federal laws. Even deciding which state to incorporate in and from where to conduct your business may alter what you can and cannot say or post on the site. No one should start a business with a good one or two hour sit-down with a lawyer who has experience in the kind of business you want to engage in. That applies doubly for anyone whose business can be categorized as "adult." The money you spend up front will be significantly less than what it would cost you to deal with the legal issues down the road.

Business topics