I am sponsoring my husband and i dont meet affidavit of support requirement since iam unemployed and my parents will support me.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Tacoma, WA

what forms do i and my mom and dad need to fill out, how do u calculate the household size and know if u meet the requirements...i live with my parents, one sister and 2 brothers do i count all of them in the household size for the I-864P guidline or it is just me, my husband and my parents .....i am confused ....thanks and waiting for responses

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Juan Paolo Pasia Sarmiento

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If your income falls short of the requirement, you may include your parents and siblings as part of your household size as long as they have the same principle residence and their income, to be used also in support of your husband. They would complete and sign form I-864A.

  2. Carlos E Sandoval

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You need to file form I-864A, and if your siblings are dependants then you count them. Otherwise you dont.

  3. Heather Roberts Majam

    Contributor Level 9


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I agree with my colleagues. You can also download the instructions from the USCIS website, and that might answer some of your questions.

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Sponsoring an immigrant

Petitioning for, or sponsoring, an immigrant allows you to help a relative immigrate to the United States, if certain conditions are met.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,831 answers this week

3,166 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,831 answers this week

3,166 attorneys answering