I am seventeen years old and pregnant i was curious of what i am emancipated from?

Asked 7 months ago - Columbus, GA

I am about 6 weeks far in my pregnancy and I am due on Oct.10.2014

1. Glen Edward Ashman

Pro

3

Answered . You're not emancipated by being pregnant. In fact, if you went to court and sought emancipation, a child's preganancy would be a strong argument against emancipation. Hopefully your parents are assisting you, and, after the child is born, make sure you file a child support case against the father.

2. Howard M Lewis

Pro

3

Answered . Counsel offers you excellent advice, the age of majority in GA is 18 and your current situation will not help you emancipate. Best of Luck to you.

3. Rachel Aliza Elovitz

1

Answered . Under Georgia law, emancipation can only arise under the terms of OCGA § 19–7–1. You are still under the control of your parents until one of certain events occurs, such as your parents failing to provide necessaries for you. In that event, your parents would likely find themselves in Juvenile Court in connection with a dependency petition.

You are going to need a lot of support. Speak to your parents. Speak with your minister. Speak to an individual therapist. Speak to a child specialist about how to gain the tools you are going to need to parent your child in a way that will give him or her the childhood that you have too quickly discarded - and how to give your baby every opportunity to thrive as he or she grows and matures. Take parenting classes. Learn how to be the kind of mother your child will want to emulate when he or she becomes a parent. Speak to an attorney about pursuing child support from the child's father. Best to you.

4. John Arnold Steakley

Answered . Nothing. Being pregnant doesn't give you any new rights or freedoms. That happens at 18, pregnant or not.

Did someone (like maybe the baby's father) tell you otherwise?