Skip to main content

I am searching for a possible special needs trust for my disabled daughter, How do I find it? started by her father-mal-practice

New York, NY |

I believe that the trustee is my sister. Is their a federal tax associated with a special needs trust. How do I go about searching for more information. This money was possibly started as a result of a mal-practice case, ? settlement. Thanks Shiryl

Attorney Answers 1

  1. Have you asked your sister? How about her father? Please appreciate that the money is for your daughter's needs, and you have no right to it should there exist such a trust, but if you have guardianship or conservatorship over her, you are entitled to information. You should remember that a 'special needs' trust usually cannot be tapped into for needs like food and clothing, so you will need to review the document -- if any exists -- to determine what it can be used for.

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics