I am searching for a possible special needs trust for my disabled daughter, How do I find it? started by her father-mal-practice

New York, NY |

I believe that the trustee is my sister. Is their a federal tax associated with a special needs trust. How do I go about searching for more information. This money was possibly started as a result of a mal-practice case, ? settlement. Thanks Shiryl

1. Have you asked your sister? How about her father? Please appreciate that the money is for your daughter's needs, and you have no right to it should there exist such a trust, but if you have guardianship or conservatorship over her, you are entitled to information. You should remember that a 'special needs' trust usually cannot be tapped into for needs like food and clothing, so you will need to review the document -- if any exists -- to determine what it can be used for.