I am scheduled for a Case Management Conference, do I have to wait for a trial?

Asked about 2 years ago - Fort Lauderdale, FL

If my ex and I can agree to all terms during our case management conference, will the court still schedule a hearing or trial? We have no assets or children, and there is nothing to be contested. Plus since we have split up, he has moved out of the state. It doesn't make sense to me that they would have him come back for another hearing if we are able to agree on all terms of our divorce. Any info?? Thank you.

1. Heather Morcroft

Answered . If you agree on everything, you can prepare the final paperwork, and if that is done properly, then just one of you can appear at the final hearing on the uncontested docket and it won't take long at all. If you do all agree, you should probably contact an attorney to help you with the process. If it is truly uncontested it won't cost much. Also, if there are no assets and no children, you qualify for what is called a simplified dissolution. Go down to the courthouse and ask for that paperwork, or go to www.flcourts.org and look under family law self help for forms and instructions.

2. Will Murphy

Answered . The only thing I would add to the prior answer is that it may be advisable for BOTH of you to go to the court. If the judge has questions, or is concerned about whether there is truly agreement, you may be able to address that then and there. Plus if the court has notified you to be there, you should be there unless you have been told by the court that you need not be there.

As a mediator, I commend you on seeking a civilized solution.