I am Russian, married to Canadian for 6 years, 1 child. Child born in Russia, has Canadian and Russian citizenship>>>

Asked 10 months ago - Springfield, VA

We lived in USA, Virginia for 3 years he on L-1, me and children on L-2 visas. I filed for divorce 1 week ago. I thought I can keep my L-2 status for 1 year during divorce (and switch to a student visa) but he got fired and I have 2 weeks before my L-2 expires. I have an apartment rented, a car, house needs to be sold, custody battle going on. How can I avoid deportation?

1. Daniel Patrick Hanlon

Pro

3

1

Best Answer

Answered . You could try and file for a change of status to F-1 or depart the US to apply for a new visa once you have an I-20. Consult with an immigration attorney ASAP to plan the next step.

2. Ismail T. Shahtakhtinski

2

Answered . There may be ways. However, there is a lot more information needed and the legal advice you need may not be suitable for this forum. You should consult with an attorney in person and get a full legal advice.

Ismail T. Shahtakhtinski, Esq.
    Attorney & Counselor at Law
    I.S. Law Firm, PLLC
    1199 N Fairfax St., Ste 702
    Alexandria, VA 22314
    Tel: (703) 527-1779
    Fax: (703) 778-0369
    www.islawfirm.com

3. J Charles Ferrari

2

Answered . By leaving the US, applying for the F-1 visa stamp abroad and returning to start your studies.

The Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit recently stated: "The Immigration and Nationality Act is a bit of a beast. It is not known for being warm or cuddly; words like "intricate" and "Byzantine" come more readily to mind. Nor is it known for being easy to understand; we have often re-marked on its fiendish complexity."

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through http://www.ailalawyer.com.

4. Dean George Tsourakis

Pro

2

Answered . This is an immigration question not a divorce question.