Skip to main content

I am Russian, married to Canadian for 6 years, 1 child. Child born in Russia, has Canadian and Russian citizenship>>>

Springfield, VA |

We lived in USA, Virginia for 3 years he on L-1, me and children on L-2 visas. I filed for divorce 1 week ago. I thought I can keep my L-2 status for 1 year during divorce (and switch to a student visa) but he got fired and I have 2 weeks before my L-2 expires. I have an apartment rented, a car, house needs to be sold, custody battle going on. How can I avoid deportation?

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Best answer

    You could try and file for a change of status to F-1 or depart the US to apply for a new visa once you have an I-20. Consult with an immigration attorney ASAP to plan the next step.

  2. There may be ways. However, there is a lot more information needed and the legal advice you need may not be suitable for this forum. You should consult with an attorney in person and get a full legal advice.

    Ismail T. Shahtakhtinski, Esq.
    Attorney & Counselor at Law
    I.S. Law Firm, PLLC
    1199 N Fairfax St., Ste 702
    Alexandria, VA 22314
    Tel: (703) 527-1779
    Fax: (703) 778-0369

    The information provided in this answer is designed to provide useful information and background materials about I.S. LAW FIRM, PLLC. The information provided is not intended to and does not constitute legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and I.S. LAW FIRM, PLLC. Any communication, including electronic mail, through this website may not be confidential or privileged. For legal advice, you should consult with an attorney familiar with your circumstances and seek the advice of counsel in the appropriate jurisdiction. The hiring of an attorney is an important decision and should not be based upon written descriptions of I.S. LAW FIRM, PLLC’s experience. Every case is different and similar results may not be obtained in your case. I.S. LAW FIRM, PLLC does not endorse or sponsor any links from this website to other websites and has not reviewed and does not accept responsibility for their contents.

  3. By leaving the US, applying for the F-1 visa stamp abroad and returning to start your studies.

    The Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit recently stated: "The Immigration and Nationality Act is a bit of a beast. It is not known for being warm or cuddly; words like "intricate" and "Byzantine" come more readily to mind. Nor is it known for being easy to understand; we have often re-marked on its fiendish complexity."

    You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through

    The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice. Legal advice cannot be provided through a forum such as this. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

  4. This is an immigration question not a divorce question.

Divorce topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics