I am renting a home and have been told this when asked for repairs to be fixed, is this true?

Kissimmee, FL |

83 . landlords obligation to maintain premises . — ( 1 ) Thurber landlord at all times during the tenancy shall : ( a ) noncomplying with the requirements of applicable building , housing , and health codes ; or ( b ) anywhere there are no applicable building , housing , or health codes , maintain the roofs , windows , screens , doors , floors , steps , porches , exterior walls , foundations , and all other structural components in good repair and capable of resisting normal forces and loads and the plumbing in reasonable working condition . However , the landlord shall not be required to maintain a mobile home or other structure owned by the tenant . According to your lease pretty much all other maintenance items are the tenantry responsibility .

I am not sure what your specific question is, however, Florida Statute 83.51 does outline what obligations a landlord has to maintain his or her rental property. This same statute also allows these statutory obligations to be modified if you are renting a single family house or duplex. If you have a written lease, you should refer to the terms of the lease to see what you may have agreed to repair or maintain. If you cannot resolve this issue with your landlord, I suggest that you consult with a local attorney for a complete review of the lease and your specific question.

The hiring of an attorney is an important decision that should not be based solely upon advertisements. Before you decide, ask us to send you free written information about our qualifications and experience. The information provided by this website is not intended, nor should it be construed, to be legal advice. Your use of this website, and/or the sending of information to the Fucillo Law Firm, P.L., does not establish an attorney/client relationship. Please do not send us any confidential or privileged information until such time that an actual attorney/client relationship is actually established.

It appears somebody took Chapter 83 of the Florida Statutes and modified them.

Generally, a lease agreement and the terms within will control the obligations of a landlord and a tenant. The lease agreement may only modify the rights granted in s. 83 in limited ways.

I recommend you arrange a consultation with a local landlord and tenant attorney to have your lease agreement reviewed and compared to the repair issues you are confronting.

Best of luck.

DISCLAIMER This answer is not legal advice nor does it create an attorney-client relationship between any user/reader and The Law Offices of Jimmy Allen Davis, P.L.. We encourage and welcome you to contact us about your legal problems and visit our website at www.lawofficesofjimmyallendavis.com or email me at jimmy.davis.esq@gmail.com.

Very helpful information, Thank you for taking the time to assist with this matter. I will be contacting a local attorney.

Landlord-tenant topics