I am purchasing a property with another business partner. We will both be on the deed. How do we hold title?

Asked over 1 year ago - Fort Lauderdale, FL

I am purchasing a property with a business partner. He has his entity and I have mine. Both of our entities will be on title. Should we hold title as Joint Tenants or Joint Tenants in Common? Is there any other recommended or better way to hold title? Thanks.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Dennis Andrew Chen


    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . This is not something to decide from advice received on an online forum. Consult an attorney and your tax professional before you take title to the property. In some cases it is better to create a separate entity to hold the property. It may seem unnecessary, but spending some money on a lawyer now may avoid headaches in the future.

    I provide a free 15 minute telephone consult for security deposit claims and eviction defense. No attorney-client... more
  2. Marshall C Deason Jr.


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You should probably enter into a joint venture agreement by setting up and LLC or LLP to take title to the property. Another option would be taking title in a Florida Land Trust. You should consult a lawyer in you area who is experienced in real estate law.

    Disclaimer: This answer is provided for informational purposes only, does not constitute legal advice, and does... more
  3. Andrew March Lyons

    Contributor Level 8

    Answered . Because business entities are involved, titling the property can be tricky. I assume that you want the property to pass to the other entity should one entity cesae to exist or if one of you passes away. Tenancy by the entireties is for husband and wife, joint tenants with rights of survivorship is for individuals. There is another deed called an enhanced life estate deed, or a "ladybird deed" that might work. There are also estate planning and tax consequences that should be considered. I draft a lot of these "creative" deeds, but you may also need some corporate resolution in your companies to deal with the asset in the future. Please feel free to call me to discuss.

  4. Michael T Millar


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Unless you specify otherwise, you would take as tenants in common (co-tenants).

    My colleagues are correct to advise to consult with a local attorney about your options.

    If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. This answer is for general education... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,415 answers this week

2,999 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,415 answers this week

2,999 attorneys answering