I am pro per is this normal for opposing counsel to act?

Temecula, CA |

Since I am pro per I have to communicate with counsel myself. When I do call in the staff is rude and very hostile. I had to request a hearing being rescheduled once and had a legit reason was trying to work it out with counsel so they didn't show up to court and waste their time with me not there ... I never requested a delay before but they have and when I mentioned that I would just like the sane courtesy they said ... "Well he is in the military he defends our country if he needs an extension etc" WTH ? My ex was attending a meeting in San Diego for recruiters he wasn't getting deployed I had to request an extension because I had to be in bankruptcy court at same time and couldn't extend that again without refiling is this normal how pro pers are treated is there anything I can do?

Communicate in writing via fax or email and make your letters polite courteous and professional. Make them self serving confirmong the extensions and courtesy you have extended, and their unreasonable refusal to accomodate you when there is good cause. Then you may have to go to court on a motion. You will have written proof of your attempts to work it our w/o wasting the courts time. Perhaps the atty wont want to look bad in front of the judge.

Thank you. So it if its in writing you have a better stance. OK I was just surprised that when I was giving them a heads up way in advance I was doing so tobe polite and try to follow court rules etc because it was really tick anyone off professionally if I just didnt show up and then said "Oh well I had to be in a BK court at same time"

it would tick off--------not was....edit

The advice in the prior answer is sound.

While professional courtesy is far and away the better practice, it is not always given. There is no rhyme nor reason to this, and much depends on the personalities and training of the people involved. All I can tell you is that I have had similar exchanges with opposing counsel, and your experience is not necessarily a reflection on the fact that you are pro per.

Best of luck to you.

Thank you. Helps to understand the games played.

However, it really does help to have an attorney. Unfortunately many attorneys feel they can get away with things when an I represented party is involved. Good luck!

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. The above answer is for general information only and is based on the information you posted. Every case is fact dependent, so to get a thorough analysis of your situation, you will need to consult face to face with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where the incident took place. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case. No attorney-client relationship shall be created through the use reading of this response on Avvo. You should never delay seeking legal advice, disregard legal advice, or commence or discontinue any legal action because of information in this response.

Thank you.

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes