I am pregnant and have no clue who the father is

Asked over 1 year ago - London, KY

So, I just found out I am pregnant. I had sex when I was drunk, woke up, the.guy was gone. I don't know his name, never seen him before, and have no way to find out. I understand what I did was irresponsible. But, I am moving on and trying to make a good life for my child. I know, they ask who the father if your child is if you apply for financial assistance. What do I do if I honestly don't know? Will I still be able to apply? I am in college. I'm 20 years old. I also reside in Kentucky. Thank you for any help

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Howard M Lewis


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . i am sorry that you are going through this, please do your best to find out so that you an order a paternity test and recieve support. also it is critical for the child to know he or she has a father.

    Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to... more
  2. Brian S Katz

    Contributor Level 4


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I agree with the other answers. You should investigate and attempt to figure out who the father is. You owe it to your child. Just be honest. If you don't know, and cant find out, then you don't know. Good luck.

  3. David Brent Cox


    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . When applying for financial assistance, you should be completely honest. Also, you should notify the appropriate agency if or when there is a change in your circumstances which could affect your eligibiity for financial assistance. I agree with the previous answer that you should make a serious effort to figure out who is the father so that your child can know his or her father and get assistance from his or her father.

    The answer provided here does not create an attorney-client relationship. This answer is for general... more
  4. Michael William Bouldin

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . Sorry, I don't agree that you "owe" anyone to find out who the father is. If you want to raise the baby alone, that is your choice. If you want to put up a poster in the bar with your picture and "who slept with me" underneath, that is your choice. If you choose to uncover the father, you may get a prince and may get a toad.

    The answer to your question is that you do not have to name the father if you do not know in order to receive benefits. I would suggest speaking with a family law attorney prior to making the decision to realize how this person will affect your life and that of your child.

    Kentucky law does not certify specialty of practice in this area. The advice given herein is informational and... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,981 answers this week

3,287 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,981 answers this week

3,287 attorneys answering