I am planning to move from PA to NY. My ex and I currently do not have a legal custody agreement. Can he stop me from moving?

Asked over 1 year ago - Mahanoy City, PA

He gets them every other weekend and the move would not change this. We have been divorced for almost 8 years.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. 4

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It is possible. Take a look at our article on our blog. Speak to your attorney for further clarification.

    Michael Kuldiner, Esq. (215) 942-2100. This response is for informational purposes only and does not constitute... more
  2. 3

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If he objects to you moving with the children, he can file a Complaint and emergency Petition and the court will likely prohibit you from moving until there is a hearing or they may force you to return if you have already moved. It is best to follow the specific requirements in the custody statute before you move, so you will need to retain an experienced family law attorney to represent you with this matter.

    My response is based solely on the limited information contained in the question. It is not meant to substitute... more
  3. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . He can't stop you from moving but he can possibly prevent the children from moving. The custody statute has detailed provisions pertaining to relocation. It may be wise to consult with counsel.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,117 answers this week

3,638 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,117 answers this week

3,638 attorneys answering