I am planning on selling "Recycled" clothing by embroidering & silk screening "used" shirts and reselling them as revived items.

Asked about 1 year ago - San Antonio, TX

I want to sell used clothing with a concept of recycling them by adding embroidery that reflects my company name as a fashion statement. For the most part it will be used clothing branded with my company name and logo but sold used and noted as "recycled" as part of the stitching.

1. Richard Kurt Arbuckle

Pro

4

Answered . The topic you posted under is trademark infringement which has to do with violating someone's trademark. I have changed the practice area to trademark application, which is what you need.

2. Elliot Taubman

4

Answered . If the question is whether you can sell the clothing as "recycled", in the absence of a particular statute in Texas dealing with this, it would not be a misrepresentation. You may want to come up with your own name and logo and copyright and/or trademark the name. You could also incorporate (recommended) and use the unique name you invent. You can check the TX Secretary of State data base to see what other names are in use. You can also check the U.S. patent and trademark data base.

3. Bruce E. Burdick

Pro

3

Answered . This has already been answered here at least once before

http://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/can-i-alter-u...

4. Sreenivasarao Vepachedu

2

2

Answered . Consider consulting with an attorney.

5. Frank Anthony Natoli

Pro

3

Answered . This is really a very fact specific question. You may be able to do what you are describing, but it may also be the case that you can cross the line and expose yourself to a legal action.

Your best bet it to consult with a lawyer in private and get specific guidance once all is clearly understood. Most of us here, including myself, offer a free phone consult so you may want to take advantage of that.

Best regards,
    Frank
    Natoli-Lapin, LLC
    (see Disclaimer)

6. Michael Charles Doland

2

Answered . The reason I think that you were correct in assigning this question to trademark infringement is the possibility/probability that existing trademark(s) exist on the clothing. I had a client doing precisely what you are describing with vintage, barely legible, Harley Davidson apparel which he significantly modified.

Short version - all "heck" broke lose. Depending on the unhappy original trademark owner, you may win in court, but the experience of victory may bankrupt you.