I am planing for F1 to persue MBA in US. I am on my 7th year of H1 (PERM filed not approved). Will PERM cause problems for F1.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Indianapolis, IN

I plan to study here with an intent not to immigrate and go back to my home country. I plan to stay out of US for 365 days before applying for my F1. I assume staying out of US for 365 days would reset my H1 clock. Also I do not plan on filing an I-140 in future, I filed the PERM just to get 7th Year H1 Extention.

Thanks for you Answers.
Another question I have is will it help if I ask my employer to withdraw my PERM or my PERM gets denied. In that case can I apply for COS with better chances of getting approval.

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

5

Answered . it may.

2. J Charles Ferrari

3

Answered . To get an F-1, you must not have immigrant intent. A labor certification suggests immigrant intent.

3. F. J. Capriotti III

2

Answered . Mr. Ferrari is correct ... where is your non-immigrant intent?

You can go ahead and 'try' to file a COS.

I would clearly NOT leave the US at all .. until the I-140/I-485 is filed.

4. Lalita Haran

2

Answered . If you consult with an attorney you can make an informed decision. Best wishes!
    Lalita Haran
    Attorney: Immigration Law
    13295 Illinois St ste 128
    Carmel IN 46032
    Ph: (317) 660-6174
    www.haranlaw.com