I am Personal Representative of my mother's estate, when I open the Estate Account can I add my husband to the account?

Van Nuys, CA |
Filed under: Probate

I just received the Certified Letter approving myself as Personal Representative of the portion of my mother's estate that is subject to probate. I have all necessary documents including EIN. I want to add my husband to the Estate Account when I open it.

1. No you cannot add your husband to the estate account unless he was named personal representative as well. This is not a husband and wife account, this is an estate account and only the court appointed representative can be on the account. The bank would not even let you if you tried. Good luck.

2. I agree with Attorney James. You cannot do this with an estate account. It is only there while the estate is being administered and is then distributed to the beneficiaries. If you are the only beneficiary, the proceeds of the account can be distributed to you, once probate is closed. At that point, you can do whatever you wish with the proceeds.

James Frederick

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!

3. Never comingle funds! The Account is held in your capacity as Personal Representative of your mother's probate estate. While the eventual owner of the funds might be you as an individual and beneficiary, it is not yet yours. You are wearing two different hats. If and when the funds come to you, you can place the funds in a joint account.

Information provided on Avvo does not constitute legal advice, as it is general in nature and may not apply to your situation. No attorney client relationship exists unless we have both signed a representation agreement which sets forth the terms of my engagement.

4. I agree with my colleagues. I wish to make one other point. It appears you do not have an attorney. Obtaining letters is just the first step in the probate process. If you wish to avoid costly missteps you should retain counsel and an accountant to assist you with administration so the estate can close timely and without penalty. As the personal representative you are now personally responsible for the proper administration of the estate. Good luck.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice or counsel. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice and counsel must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice and counsel during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice or counsel in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for advice and counsel. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

5. No, you can't do this and don't even try doing it.

6. No. You are the personal representative and cannot delegate your duties and must avoid self-dealing. Adding your husband would violate both duties.

Why do you want to add your husband? Who are the other beneficiaries? If you are the only beneficiary this isnt so bad but still is an issue. If you dont have an attorney, you should really hire one.

The general advice above does not constitute an attorney-client relationship: you haven't hired me or my firm or given me confidential information by posting on this public forum, and my answer on this public forum does not constitute attorney-client advice. IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: In order to comply with requirements imposed by the Internal Revenue Service, we inform you that any U.S. tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing, or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein. While I am licensed to practice in New York and California, I do not actively practice in New York. Regardless, nothing said should be deemed an opinion of law of any state. All readers need to do their own research or pay an attorney for a legal opinion if one is necessary or desired.

Wills and estates topics