I am paid two different hourly wages depending on which hours of the day I work, but the specifics are left unspecified. Legal?

Asked 3 months ago - Seattle, WA

I am paid one hourly wage for 'day' work and another for 'overnight' work. The problem is that I work many different shifts (e.g. 4pm to 4am or 11pm to 7am, etc.) and until recently have not been given any clarification or consistent application of what constitutes 'overnight' and what constitutes 'day.' My boss has finally decided that if I leave before 2am it is 'day' and after is 'overnight' but told me that this is subject to change at his discretion without notice.

Can he tell me I'm getting a specific per hour wage, then change it without notice? So in his mind I can work all this week thinking that because I'm working until 2am, I'll be paid salary B, but then my paycheck comes and it is Salary A because he changed his mind. Is that legal?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Randy Jay Harvey


    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . An employer can generally pay two different wages for day and night shift or graveyard shift. If your employer has told you the wage, then you should be paid the wage you were told. He can change the wage after he gives notice. Some states require a shift differential, you should contact an employment attorney or the labor board to get specific details on your situation. You can find an employment attorney licensed in WA here on Avvo by going to the find an attorney tab.
    Best of luck!

    NO LEGAL ADVICE GIVEN. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,079 answers this week

3,055 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,079 answers this week

3,055 attorneys answering