Skip to main content

I am owed over 70thousand in back child support, i live off disability and cant afford a lawyer, the father now only pays

Odenville, AL |

400 a month ,i have been going through the dhr child support since 1999, he has always worked in construction so they dont garnishy his wages,i never get to talk to the worker unless we are at court, its not been the best way at all to get help but i havent had much of a choice in this, he never sees his kids or grandkids in years, they dont know the father at all, i need some advice on how to get anything i can so he will have to settle his debt to these kids someway, somehow, what else can i do for them to have justice toward the debt

Attorney Answers 1

  1. There isn't anything you can do. If they are having him pay (you say @ $400/month), then that's all there will be. The law requires him to pay, but it puts a cap on how much of his pay can be taken for support. Working in construction, his pay is probably hit-and-miss at best, but you don't explain why they cannot garnish his pay? Is he self-employed? Regardless, the state has an order and is enforcing it, so there isn't anything you can do about it. The lack of contact with the kids is irrelevant - you can't change that.

    We can be reached at 507.334.0155. Our web address is: www. Answers on Avvo are not to be considered a response to a specific legal issue in a specific jurisdiction - they are to be considered only general responses to hypothetical scenarios posed by the questioner. For specific legal advice, please consult with a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction. No information contained herein should be construed as a solicitation for business, an offer to perform legal services in any jurisdiction in which the attorneys of Corbin Law Office are not licensed, or the dissemination of legal advice. No creation of an attorney-client relationship should be assumed or implied. We are a debt relief agency. Corbin Law Office helps people file for bankruptcy relief under the bankruptcy code.

Family law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics