I am on the board of a condo association. My question concerns an incident with our maintenance man and property man & property

Saint Petersburg, FL |

I am a board member. The other day I went to the maintenance man to ask him to follow up on a resident concern (ant infestation). My time was limited, as I was leaving for the afternoon and wanted to make sure I handled the resident's concern. I approached the maintenance man who was on his lunch time. As soon as I spoke he went off on a tirade calling me every "F" explicit possible. I called the property manager to inform of this incident and to inform that I would be filling a grievance report.
The property manager stated that although the maintenance is on their payroll that he is really an employee of the association and therefore the Board would have to address the incident. My question - who's employee is he and who is responsible for the maintenance man's actions?

1. Again, not enough info.

I served on a condo board once, and it depends on whether your place is self-managed or professionally managed. In professionally managed condos the workers are usually employees of the manager. It looks like your property manager gave you the dodge.

This is something you should bring up with your board counsel/lawyer and discuss in a board meeting. It should be clearly defined where the lines of authority lie as regards workers, and then the responsibility should be appropriately born.

Call a meeting if you have to.

If you find the answer helpful please tag it. I provide free initial consultation extended to all clients either in office or by phone. We do not have an attorney-client relationship unless we enter into a written, formal letter of instruction to represent; accordingly, I am not your lawyer. The statements I make do not constitute legal advice. Any statements I make are based upon the limited facts you have presented, and under the premise that you will consult with a local attorney. This is not an attempt to solicit business. This disclaimer is in addition to any disclaimers that this website has made. I am admitted to practice in Florida, Oklahoma, and Texas, with many U. S. District Court admissions. Accordingly, my responses reflect the law of those states. I practice extensively in U. S. District and Bankruptcy Courts. Any advice given here is deemed to be within the parameters of the rules of professional responsibility and codes of ethics as promulgated by The Florida Bar and The Supreme Court of Florida, The State Bar of Texas and the Texas Supreme Court and the Oklahoma Bar Association and the Oklahoma Supreme Court.

2. There are situations where the maintenance people are employees of the association and the management company processes the payroll. Find out who's tax ID makes the payments by demanding proof from the property manager. Ask for a board meeting to address the incident immediately. If he is an association employee the board can vote to discipline him or terminate his employment. If he is an employee of the property management company I suggest you discuss new property managers because this indicates laziness to do the job. Meetings to discuss personnel issues do not need to be noticed. Meetings to discuss replacing property management companies do need to be noticed.

This communication is not intended to create an attorney/client relationship. It is always recommended you consult an attorney in person to discuss your case.