I am on R-1 visa. My R-1 petitioner is not helping me anymore. Can I set up my own religious organization?

Rutherford, NJ |
Filed under: Immigration

Can I set up my own yoga and religious organization? I got my R-1 visa in 2009. I came to the USA in 2010. I lived in California for one and a half years. I moved to New Jersey in 2011 because my R-1 petitioner in California refused to help me anymore. I need to survive in the USA and for that purpose can I establish my own yoga institute. I have certification in yoga from India and belong to India. Please advise. My R-1 visa expires in June of 2014.

1. While on R-1 you can only work for the R-1 petitioner. Additionally, your facts indicate you are out of status.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer, whether myself or one of my colleagues, to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.