I am on R-1 visa. My R-1 petitioner is not helping me anymore. Can I set up my own religious organization?

Asked over 1 year ago - Rutherford, NJ

Can I set up my own yoga and religious organization? I got my R-1 visa in 2009. I came to the USA in 2010. I lived in California for one and a half years. I moved to New Jersey in 2011 because my R-1 petitioner in California refused to help me anymore. I need to survive in the USA and for that purpose can I establish my own yoga institute. I have certification in yoga from India and belong to India. Please advise. My R-1 visa expires in June of 2014.

1. J Charles Ferrari

Answered . While on R-1 you can only work for the R-1 petitioner. Additionally, your facts indicate you are out of status.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer, whether myself or one of my colleagues, to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case.