I am on R-1 visa. My R-1 petitioner is not helping me anymore. Can I set up my own religious organization?

Asked over 1 year ago - Rutherford, NJ

Can I set up my own yoga and religious organization? I got my R-1 visa in 2009. I came to the USA in 2010. I lived in California for one and a half years. I moved to New Jersey in 2011 because my R-1 petitioner in California refused to help me anymore. I need to survive in the USA and for that purpose can I establish my own yoga institute. I have certification in yoga from India and belong to India. Please advise. My R-1 visa expires in June of 2014.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . While on R-1 you can only work for the R-1 petitioner. Additionally, your facts indicate you are out of status.

    You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer, whether myself or one of my colleagues, to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,055 answers this week

3,149 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,055 answers this week

3,149 attorneys answering