Skip to main content

I am on probation in-TN for a misdemeanor drug chrg (dropped from a felony). Signed my language. Failed my first drug test.

Murfreesboro, TN |

What is expected? Can't afford another atty. Can a public defender help?

Attorney Answers 3


If you can't afford an attorney, ask the court to consider appointing you one. A public defender is a much better alternative to representing yourself. My guess is that considering your charge was reduced from a felony, the State will have little compassion and will be asking for jail time. I would urge you to call around and see if you can hire your own attorney. Many will work on payment plans.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


With your statement about "signed my language," I presume you mean "the language" in Rutherford County Court where you agree to serve your sentence if you violate probation. You need an attorney. You can try to hire your own attorney, either through a payment plan or by leaning on family or friends for some assistance. If there is no way you can afford an attorney, you can ask the court for an appointed attorney. There are several factors that should be considered, including the specific court/judge where you are on probation, the time between when you were placed on probation, and exactly what you tested positive for. Contact a reputable attorney immediately for discussion.

Any information provided is intended for general informational purposes only. This is NOT legal advice, and no attorney/client relationship has been created. You should consult directly with an attorney to obtain answers to any legal questions.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


To have the best chance of success, you are going to need to retain an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, you can ask the court to appoint you one.

This communication does not create an attorney/client relationship. My answers are intended for educational purposes only. No action will be taken on your behalf without a written retainer agreement. I am licensed only in Tennessee. Therefore, if you are outside the state of Tennessee, it is recommended that you consult an attorney in your jurisdiction.

Mark as helpful

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics