I am on probation for a dui misdemeanor. Just got a speeding ticket while still on probation. Will this effect my probation?

Chicago, IL |

Worried how this may effect my probation?

Unless you are charged with reckless driving or some other misdemeanor because of the excessive speed then no. Speeding is considered quasi-criminal and not a misdemeanor or felony. Make sure you take care of the ticket because failure to appear could cause a bigger problem.

I don't practice in IL. As long as you don't let it go to warrant you should be okay.

Edward J. Blum

In theory any legal violation could. But in Chicago system, I doubt the state will go to the time and effort to file a petiton to revoke probation because of a run of the mill speeding ticket.

If the violation is merely a speeding charge, I doubt very seriously that you would be violated. A probation violation requires a willful violation in a material and significant way.

You should contact an attorney familiar with the jurisdiction in which your case is scheduled. Nevertheless, in many jurisdictions only a criminal conviction(not a traffic infraction) will result in a probation violation. Beware that in some jurisdictions(i.e. Virginia) a speeding ticket could be charged as reckless driving(a criminal charge) if the speed is excessive.

It shouldn't affect your probation, but you you may have trouble getting supervision for the speeding ticket. An experienced, local attorney may be able to work something out. I'd recommend getting a consultation just to make sure you know all your options. If you need a referral, feel free to give me a call. I'd be happy to give you the name of a good traffic defense attorney. 1-800-517-1614.

There's more information on our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Chicago-IL/FindGreatLawyerscom/173184704932?ref=ts,
and in the link below.