I am on probation for a dui misdemeanor. Just got a speeding ticket while still on probation. Will this effect my probation?

Asked about 4 years ago - Chicago, IL

Worried how this may effect my probation?

1. David H. Potter

Answered . Unless you are charged with reckless driving or some other misdemeanor because of the excessive speed then no. Speeding is considered quasi-criminal and not a misdemeanor or felony. Make sure you take care of the ticket because failure to appear could cause a bigger problem.

2. Ted Harvatin

Pro

Answered . In theory any legal violation could. But in Chicago system, I doubt the state will go to the time and effort to file a petiton to revoke probation because of a run of the mill speeding ticket.

3. Michael J. Helfand

Answered . It shouldn't affect your probation, but you you may have trouble getting supervision for the speeding ticket. An experienced, local attorney may be able to work something out. I'd recommend getting a consultation just to make sure you know all your options. If you need a referral, feel free to give me a call. I'd be happy to give you the name of a good traffic defense attorney. 1-800-517-1614.

There's more information on our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Chicago-IL/FindGr...,
    and in the link below.

4. Edward Jerome Blum

Answered . I don't practice in IL. As long as you don't let it go to warrant you should be okay.

Edward J. Blum

5. Jonathan Burton Blecher

Pro

Answered . If the violation is merely a speeding charge, I doubt very seriously that you would be violated. A probation violation requires a willful violation in a material and significant way.

6. Anthony Mark Nicewicz

Answered . You should contact an attorney familiar with the jurisdiction in which your case is scheduled. Nevertheless, in many jurisdictions only a criminal conviction(not a traffic infraction) will result in a probation violation. Beware that in some jurisdictions(i.e. Virginia) a speeding ticket could be charged as reckless driving(a criminal charge) if the speed is excessive.