I am on my mother in laws mortgage with her she is the only one on the deed is that legal in NY. She didn't want me on the deed.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Rockville Centre, NY

I live in the house with her. I pay all the bills She refuses to put me on the deed or take me off the mortgage.

1. Jeffrey Bruce Gold

Pro

1

1

Answered . If she is the only one on the deed, you likely cannot get off the mortage even if she agrees. Only if the bank agrees can you get off the mortgage. Its a difficult case to force you on to the deed. Your mother in law would have had to have made a promise in writing that she would add you to the deed if you paid all the bills and you complied. Absent a writing I think it would be nearly impossible.

2. David A. Kubikian

1

Answered . Yes it is legal to have people on mortgages who are not titled owners to a property.

3. James P. Frederick

1

Answered . While I agree with my colleagues, this places YOU in the horrible position of being obligated on the loan for a property that you have no legal interest in. Living in the house does not give you any inherent rights. Whether there are other people who would have rights ahead of you is unclear. At the VERY least, I would want to make sure that any estate planning documents make clear that you are to own the home upon your MIL's death. This should be done through a trust, ideally, so you do not need to pay probate costs and fees, just to get title to your own home.

This should be done through an estate planning attorney. Without knowing your MIL's intentions or her misgivings, it is hard to give you much more guidance.

James Frederick