I am on long term disability -My former employer filed chapter 11 -do I file a claim form B-10? How do I fill out?

Las Vegas, NV |
Filed under: Chapter 11 bankruptcy

I have been on Long term disability for 10 years now and probably until retirement age - My former employer filed chapter 11 on 9-3-2013. I am listed as a creditor - Do I file a Claim form B-10? How do I fill it out? It has an area where you put in a dollar amount, do I put in my monthly benefit amount or x number of years? Is my LTD protected in Nevada from Chap 11? I received 3 BK notices with 3 dates of hearings, do I attend them?

The proof of claim form and instructions about how to fill it out are located at It is possible that an attorney is representing all of the retirees (or if you get a group together, you may collectively be able to hire one).

The legal analysis of any situation depends on a variety of factors which cannot be properly represented or accounted for in a response to an on-line question. Any answer, discussion or information is intended as general information only, is not intended to serve as legal advice or as a substitute for legal counsel, and should not be relied upon in making any decision. If you have a question about a specific factual situation, you should contact an attorney directly.

It can't be "protected from" the Chapter 11--the company has a fixed amount of assets to pay out with; the nature of an 11 is that someone pays this to take the assets.

It is possible that a counsel will be appointed to represent the interests of retirees at the estate's expense; it may be necessary for someone to take the initiative on making this happen.

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt