Skip to main content

I am on L1 Visa and getting married in Aug. My fiance is trying to schedule an interview for an L2 Visa soon after our marriage.

Redwood City, CA |

She is filling out the DS160 application and mentioning the relationship status as "Other" and not spouse, although by the time she interviews, she would be my spouse. Is that okay?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


As long as she tells the truth, the consular official can consider her request. If the appointments are very delayed, then the issue may be whether she is eligible for a visa at the interview. Unfortunately, consular discretion is occasionally frustrating. Good luck.

If you have concerns and want an experienced immigration attorney to research the issue in more detail, with respect to the Consulate or Embassy involved, then I strongly recommend an appointment or teleconference.

This is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.


Doing so could become an issue.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


Probably should write "fiancee", but it would be better if she waited until you married her to complete the DS-160.

Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer